If you don’t have a printer and scanner (do people even print things anymore?) when applying for a mortgage, this will involve somehow getting your documents into the hands of the lender for their review and ultimate approval.
Sometimes, if you’re not office equipped, this can involve running over to your friend’s place with a haphazard pile of documents and a desperate look on your face.
But, as always, technology comes to the rescue!
In this article, I’m going to show you how to use a free app to turn the camera on your phone into a mobile document scanner.
All you need is a reasonably modern phone, an internet connection and about 10-15 minutes to download all your documents.
Trust me, this is going to make your life so much easier.
Step 1: Download the app “Scannable”
- Go to the App store for iPhone and do a search for “Evernote Scannable”
- Open the application
- Open the menu (the three dots “…” at the bottom left of your screen)
- Choose “Settings” then “File Type”
- Change it to PDF, click back then done
Step 2: Scan your documents
- Place a document on a contrasting background
- Aim the camera at a document. When the app detects a page it’ll automatically snap a picture of it.
- Review the document. If it doesn’t look good, delete it and try again.
- Proceed to scan the next document
- When you’ve scanned all the documents, click the blue check mark
- You’ll have a chance to review all the documents again.
Note: Scannable adds a feature to remove extra colour. If that makes the document hard to read, click on the “restore” button to revert it to the original version.
- You can now save the documents to your camera roll for future retrieval
Step 3: Send your documents
- Click “Send” and you’ll be presented with options
- Choose either “mail” or “share” which will open your most common communication options.
- You can send the documents to me by email or text message – whichever is more convenient.
And that’s it! You can send these anytime, anywhere. You’re going to love how easy this makes your life.